Monday, May 31, 2010

Popcorn Cupcakes


I took this picture with my iPhone, so it's not super clear, but these are the cupcakes I made for Jack's and Ben's last day of school parties. They are a white cupcake with buttercream frosting. To make the "popcorn," you cut X's into mini marshmallows with kitchen shears. Then you use Wilton color mist spray in yellow to make them look buttery. To create a popcorn box look, I used Wilton standard sized nut and party cups with red stripes colored on the sides.
.
Since Ben's room had a circus theme this year and Jack had a carnival-themed party, popcorn cupcakes worked for both boys. I'll be honest - it took a looooong time to color the red stripes and cut up the marshmallows to make 50 or so cupcakes. But I was very happy with the result!
.
Here's a tip if you take cupcakes into work or the classroom - buy a plastic sweater box from Target to carry them in. They have lids, and 20-24 cupcakes fit perfectly. They're deep enough to accommodate any decorations as well.

1 comment:

Alison... said...

I can't even imagine how long 'loooooong' means in your world... I'm thinking days.

;-)

But they came out great of course!