Saturday, June 5, 2010

Greek Salad

Posted by Picasa


I'm pretty sure I got this recipe from Rachael Ray around the time she first entered the national consciousness. It's one of my favorites - mediterranean flavors, strong cheese, fresh veg = bliss. I have changed it a little, but the key here is the dressing - it's quite easy but intensely flavored. Make everyone around you eat it, too, because the garlic (though partially cooked) is strong!

Use the amounts called for in the recipe as suggestions - I'm sure I add more cheese and tomatoes, and I keep the Kalamata olives to my side of the bowl!

Greek Salad

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

juice of one large lemon (at least two tablespoons)

salt and pepper

2 hearts Romaine lettuce, chopped

2 plum tomatoes, diced

1/2 medium red onion, sliced very thin

1/2 seedless cucumber, sliced thin

1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, chopped

1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives

1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled or diced

2 T. fresh oregano (optional)

Put the minced garlic in a microwave safe bowl and cover with oil. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk in lemon juice, salt, and pepper until emulsified. Dip in a cucumber slice or piece of lettuce and check the taste - does it need more salt or lemon juice?

Combine the lettuce, vegetables, cheese, and oregano. Toss with dressing.