Friday, May 1, 2009

Baked Tortellini

In our town there is a restaurant called Giorgio's that we order from occasionally. It's a typical red-sauce neighborhood place with yummy food and family owners. I actually had the owner in one of my English classes a few years ago: I asked her if she ever shared the recipe for their marinara and she said no! I always say I should have asked have asked her before I turned in her final grade.

Our favorite meal from Giorgio's is their tortellini marinara. It's cheese tortellini in a very light, delicate marinara topped with mozzarella cheese. I keep all the ingredients on hand to make it because it's relatively quick and we love it. I usually make a quick marinara, but jarred sauce is fine, too.

Baked Tortellini

1 package frozen cheese tortellini - 16 oz.
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I usually use Muir Glen, but Hunt's are not as thick - they make
a sauce actually more like the restaurant one)
1-2 T. olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
basil (optional)
8 oz. mozzarella or mix of Italian cheeses, shredded (whole milk mozzarella gives it the
restaurant taste, but I usually have part-skim)

Cook tortellini according to package instructions; drain.

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil with the salt, pepper, red pepper, and garlic just until the garlic becomes golden. Take pan off heat and add tomatoes (to avoid splattering). Simmer 5-10 minutes, adding chopped basil at the end if desired.

Mix tortellini with sauce and pour into casserole pan. Top with cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350. Turn on broiler and let cheese bubble and brown just a bit - watch carefully so it doesn't burn. Remove from oven and serve.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Again, I'm surprised you don't make your on tortellini!

That recipe sounds great!!!