Monday, October 4, 2010

Pico de Gallo and Guacamole

I love salsa, but lately I've been making pico de gallo more often. I like how chunky and flavorful it is, and it's a great topping for breakfast burritos or tacos. I first made it when I was introduced to Rick Bayless's Mexican cookbooks, but I wasn't a huge fan until I read Pioneer Woman's take on pico: each ingredient plays an equally important role. In other words, pico de gallo should not be 3/4 tomato with a little onion, jalapeno, and cilantro; equal amounts are what gives pico its flavor.

When you make it, save a 1/2 cup or so for the guacamole; that recipe will come next.

Pico de Gallo

4-5 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 small onion, diced
3 jalapenos, seeded and minced (leave the seeds in if you want much spicier pico)
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and leaves chopped
2 T. lime juice
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients. Taste and correct with more lime juice and salt if needed.

Guacamole

3 ripe avocados, mashed (you can buy unripe avocados a few days ahead and put them in a bag with an apple to ripen them)
1/2 cup pico de gallo
lime juice
salt

Combine avocado with pico de gallo. Add more lime juice and salt if needed.

2 comments:

Alison... said...

I love salsa too... not a huge fan of the guac though...

Look good.

menna said...

طريق العروبة
تركيب رخام ابو ظبي
شركات صبغ فى ابو ظبى