Sunday, January 11, 2009

Oatmeal - Two Ways

When I was young, I didn't like oatmeal. In fact, once my mother even served it to my sister and me with vanilla ice cream to get us to eat it! (We did.) But now, oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts. I just posted an actual recipe below, but here are two other ways I like to make it.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup water
pinch of salt
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. peanut butter
1/2 apple, chopped

Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the oats; stir; and turn down the heat to medium. Cook until thickened. Turn off heat and mix in brown sugar and peanut butter. Transfer to bowl and top with apples.

Oatmeal Muesli (cold)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup plain yogurt
brown sugar
chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds
diced apple
frozen blueberries

Mix oats and yogurt in bowl. Mix in brown sugar, nuts, and fruit to taste. If you like softer oatmeal, you can mix the yogurt in the night before and leave it in the refrigerator. You can also substitute vanilla yogurt and leave out the brown sugar to save calories.

No comments: