Friday, December 19, 2008

Cranberry Coconut Shortbread Cookies

I love these cookies, but I know that chocolate is a bigger draw to most people. I think cranberries belong on a cookie tray, though, for color, tartness, and tradition.

I have no idea where I found this recipe, but I've had it for years.

Cranberry Coconut Shortbread Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries (Craisins)
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked dried coconut

1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar, orange peel, and vanilla until smooth.

2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat on low speed until dough comes together, about five minutes.

3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on buttered or parchment-covered baking sheets.

4. Bake in a 350 degree oven until cookie edges just begin to brown, 8-11 minutes (shorter baking time will yield a chewier cookie, which I prefer). Let cookies cool on sheets for five minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.

No comments: