Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sweet Potato and Zucchini Muffins

I found this recipe on the Cooking Light forums, which I read quite often. I was looking for some healthy muffins to make for playgroup when Jack was little. I still make these for the boys, and they really like them. I like their nutritional profile, especially after I made some changes to the recipe. I wouldn't say they are the most delicious muffins I've ever made, but they're for the children anyway!

My changes to the recipe are in parentheses. I highly recommend reducing the sugar. Adding dried or frozen berries is a nice change. I usually make these as mini muffins.

Sweet Potato and Zucchini Muffins my changes are in parentheses

2 cups all purpose flour (1 c. white and 1 c. wheat)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups sugar (1 cup sugar)
3/4 cup veg. oil (half oil and half vanilla yogurt)
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (2 cups)
1 1/2 cups grated, peeled sweet potato (2 cups)
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (omitted)

Preheat oven to 350. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray. Sift first 4 ingredients into bowl (flour through salt). Beat sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla to blend in large bowl. Mix in zucchini and sweet potato. Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir well. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester comes out clean, about 12-14 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pans and remove. Finish cooling on baking racks. You can also bake this in a greased and floured loaf pan for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

No comments: